It's sad that the mentality in America is "work, work, work" and nothing else. If business owners would help their employees by providing them with or helping them with a decent fitness plan, not only would the mental state of their employees be better, but they would also save money on the company health plan. Even in Asian countries, such as Japan, employees are required to take part in 10-15 minute tai chi sessions every day.
Below are five ways, you can "work on your fitness" while at work as well as a video providing you with a variety of exercises you can do right at your desk!
- Get up and walk around every thirty minutes for two minutes. Walking helps blood to circulate through your system, plus it's a great way to change up your scenery. Who wants to look at a computer screen for 8 hours anyways?
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator. As if you haven't heard this before. You burn more calories walking those few flights of steps than standing in an elevator. Compromise: if you work in a skyscraper, take the elevator half way up, and then walk the rest of the way.
- When you go to talk to your co-workers or hold a meeting, stand don't sit. Again, more calories burned in standing than in sitting.
- If you are on the phone most of the day, do some arm curls. You want Jennifer Aniston/ Janet Jackson toned arms don't you?
- Stretch! Sitting in a chair all day, can be bad for the lower back as well as the legs. Take some time out to stretch at least every hour.
The Unemployed Entrepreneur