I read this really good article from Lifehack that provides some really good tips on sticking to your new habits. Some of those tips included:
- Start simple. Don't try to completely change your life in one day...
- Get a buddy. They'll keep you accountable and motivated. PLUS, you can swap tidbits and advice with them.
- Be Imperfect. Try your best, but expect a few bumps along the way.
- Use "but" to turn negative thoughts into positive and motivating ones. Example: I just can't give up this [insert bad habit here], but I know in the end I will be the better for it.
- Remove temptation. No explanation necessary.
- Write it down. Writing makes your ideas more clear and causes you to focus on the end result.
- Stay Consistent. Consistency saves...Complacency kills.
- Spend time with role models. Spend more time with the people whose habits you want to mirror.
- MOST IMPORTANTLY: Do it for yourself.
And if you still need a good kick in the bottom, here is the complete list of 18 tricks to make new habits stick (via Lifehack)