Tuesday, April 12, 2011

5 Unlikely Sources to Acquire Knowledge

I've always been a firm believer in the old adage, Knowledge is Power. This past weekend, I got the chance to talk to one of the event designers at my job about growth and progress. We both agreed that in order to grow and progress (we were specifically talking about the event industry) in anything in life, you have to have continuously growing knowledge and the wisdom to seek it. For me, you are only as good as the knowledge you acquire. I take any opportunity to gain knowledge, whether it's in a book, with a co-worker, from my family, or from my associates.

As I got home, I took the opportunity to peruse my vast library of books and it prompted me to think, "what do other people do to increase their knowledge?" How do you go about acquiring the knowledge necessary to be successful and most importantly relevant?

5 Unlikely Sources of Acquiring Knowledge:
Certainly the internet is a great source for getting knowledge, but often times the information we receive can be misleading, erroneous, or false. Being a Generation Y'er or "Millenial," I'm all for a nice google search, app reference, or something technology related to get some knowledge, but being so technologically dependent, we often forget that there are other sources to gain knowledge. Read below for my sources for acquiring knowledge.
  1. Books: You read them as a kid. You were forced to read them in school. It's your go to instruction manual. Why wouldn't you pick up a book at leisure to learn something new. You want to be debt free, but you don't really know where to start try reading a book and getting some tips of being debt free. Try Debt-Free Forever by Gail Vaz-Oxlade (host of 'Til Debt Do Us Part). You want to learn more about the fashion industry, try Vogue Fashion: Over 100 Years of Style. There is a library or book store near you or better yet, Amazon is just a click away!

  2. The Elderly: It's funny. In America, we look down on the elderly. We think they are feeble and in a sense worthless. However, in other countries the elderly is looked at for their wisdom, life experiences, and knowledge. We need to learn from other countries and value our elderly. Not only will talking to them, learning from them, and being mentored by them make them feel wanted, but you will get knowledge that has stood the test of time.

  3. Your Teachers (school, mentors, advisors): When we're in school, our teachers teach us what they have to teach us. When we get older and we begin to reminisce on the non-educational lessons they taught us we go through life with a clearer head. Instead of looking back and remembering, how about taking the time to learn from them in the present. Your teachers are always available to talk to. Get to know them, find out their background story and figure out how their wealth of knowledge can be yours.

  4. Younger Peers: Recently, I began attracting peers younger than myself. All my life, I had been the younger peer influencing the older ones but lately, I've had the good fortune to learn a lot from my younger counterparts. Not only do they keep me on trend and updated but their drive and ambition reinforces mine when I feel like I don't have enough. Our younger peers, like our elderly ones, have a vast amount of knowledge all we have to do is take the time to listen and be attentive.

  5. Magazines NOT in your industry but brings inspiration to your industry: Many of us read magazines because we enjoy the content, it's been a part of our lives, or just because. I bet you wouldn't think to pick up a magazine inspired by your favorite magazines. Being in the event industry, I've come to learn that it is inspired by so much more than just "events." It's inspired by fashion, interior design, food, artistic movements, just to name a few. Evaluate what industry you're in or want to be in and check out the magazines that inspire it.


Recently an associate of mine posted on her Facebook status "What would you rather have? Money or access?" I responded "how about knowledge. Knowledge can get you both access AND money...there. problem solved."

And I will always hold that true. Can't have neither without knowledge.

What are some unlikely sources of knowledge you get? Share with me!

The Unemployed Entrepreneur

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!!!!!