Monday, April 18, 2011

Motivational Monday: Don't Suck Your Thumb on Life

When I was younger, I sucked my thumb. Actually, I was born sucking my thumb. I remember when I was scared, sad, upset, or just in need of a little comfort, I sucked my thumb. Was it right? Depends on who you're asking. Did parents look at me and my mother like I was crazy? Certainly. But at the end of the day, I was comfortable and sucking my thumb brought me comfort and security. Remember how it was when you were a little kid? You had your favorite blanket, stuffed toy, outfit, or object. When you held or wore that object you felt the greatest sense of security and comfort from it. And then you grew up and had to kick comfort through the window to grow.

Lately, I feel like I've been having the same type of conversations with different people. I know some people who have a plethora of opportunities to help them get to the next level of their success, but they aren't moving one way or another because they are comfortable with their current success. For example, my brother has so much potential to be better than he is, but he hasn't moved in any direction because essentially he is comfortable with what he has in his life right now.

These people are "sucking their thumb" on life: Not living up to their potential because they are comfortable in the situation they are in now because they feel secure. Just like when I was younger, sucking my thumb gave me comfort to the point where sucking my thumb seemed like the only option. People get so comfortable in their surroundings that their current actions seem like the only option. They fail to adapt to new situations and grow because they shun the lack of security in it.

When I was in the fourth grade, I got braces to correct years of sucking my thumb. With those braces, I also got something called a thumb cradle, a device that prevented me from sucking my thumb or even wanting to. It was with that device and being uncomfortable wearing braces that I had to learn adapt and grow.

pacifier patch Pictures, Images and Photos
Isn't that how life is? At the end of the day, life is about adaptation and growth. Once we have received success in one area or because of one venture, we can't allow ourselves to get so comfortable that all other options go out the window. We can't sit back and suck our thumbs because we are scared of what else life has to offer. When we learn to be comfortable with being uncomfortable, that is the day that success and growth becomes easy for us.

The Unemployed [but Empowered] Entrepreneur

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!!!!!