Monday, June 6, 2011

2011 MTV Movie Awards: The set design

I confess...I didn't really watch the 2011 MTV Movie Awards. I watched the first 30 minutes and ended up doing something else. I will admit that I was highly intrigued by the set design for this year's awards. It was like a sprawling fantasy forest in the mind of a very very creative (or mad) person. With lush greenery, sparkling lights, and oversized props, this year's set design definitely took the award for creativity.



The set design for the movie awards was inspired by fantasy in film, specifically the fantasy behind The Lord of The Rings movies. MTV production designer Leroy Bennett turned the Gibson Amphitheater in Universal City, California into a fantastical representation of his mind with oversized hanging jewels, caves, butterflies, and a plethora of LED lights.
Executive Producer, Mark Burnett states,
"With The Twilight Saga: Eclipse and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 leading the nominee pack, the feel of this show also reflects those fantastical worlds that are ruled by wizards, werewolves and vampires. I think there's been a lot of movies in the last few years that are very fantasy-driven, and Tim Burton has also been a major inspiration for the stage design." -Source

When I saw the stage for the first time, my immediate reaction was "Whoa! That's clever." I'm always intrigued with a stage or set design that tampers with my mind and calls to my inner child. This set design definitely did that. I hope the creative people behind the annual MTV Movie Awards continues to take the set design in a more creative avenue versus the contemporary and modern path they've been on for so long. With so many movies to gain inspiration from, there are endless possibilities if they would simply open their minds.

Check out the behind the scenes video with Josh Horowitz of MTV News and tell me what you think.


The Unemployed Entrepreneur

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!!!!!