Tuesday, November 22, 2011

How I got myself out of a depressive state PT. 2

Recently, maybe a few months ago, I realized how unhappy I was. I realized that I was going through life...not living it. One day, I woke up and decided that I was tired of being unmotivated. I was tired of feeling down. I was tired of living with my head in a fog. I was tired of just EXISTING and wanted to live again. It was hard...I won't lie. You start to get comfortable just existing, it almost seems easier. I think it is easier. It's so easy to be unhappy, to blame others for your lack of whatever. Being happy truly does take work. So one day, I woke up and decided to get to work. This is the continuation of my journey.

Fourth. I challenged myself. I challenged myself to create something EVERYDAY. Everyday, it didn't matter what it was or through what medium, I had to create something. I am naturally creative...some may say artistically gifted, so when I don't create for long periods of time...my positive energy goes down. Whether I was drawing, singing, photoshopping, writing, blogging, photographing, videotaping, public speaking, cooking...it didn't matter. I HAD TO CREATE EVERYDAY.

Fifth. I got rid of the stuff that didn't make me happy. Although some stuff was harder to get rid of and it made me sadder at first...I had to do it for me. That included what I watched on television. I decreased the amount of drama I watched on the television and focused on the shows that either stimulated my mind or inspired me. I have to admit Oprah's Lifeclass was a MAJOR help for me.

Sixth. I imagined myself happy. I imagined the smile on my face, the warm feeling inspired, the sense of "in this moment, despite everything else, I AM happy." I started to do that before bed and when I woke up. Eventually, I noticed that for no reason at all, I started to smile more. I started to fall asleep with a smile of my face and waking up with a smile on my face. I noticed that I noticed things more...positive things...like the sun shining.

Seventh. I stopped existing and started to LIVE! I re-instated my membership at the gym, called my trainer, and started to (for the first time ever)enjoy jogging. I made the effort to go out alone and do things for me, but I also made the effor to call and hang with some old friends. I didn't have the funds to do EVERYTHING I wanted, but I was able to do everything I needed to get back to my joy.

I encourage everyone if they are feeling down or are even depressed, before taking to the meds, consider really thinking about what is making you unhappy then take the steps to get yourself out of that state and be happy again. I think the best quote to sum it up is as follows,
"When you discover the world around you, you'll discover the world within you."
       -Unknown
The fact that I made and make the effort everyday is why I think I got myself out of my depressive state because it's in the effort that you start to shine...not in the end result.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!!!!!